Private House Gathering in Portugal May 8th - 13th

Things to do away from the infernal machines.

Moderator: The Madame X

Postby The Madame X » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 am

Lady Sequanna, Herr Wulfsunnus and Madame X met with Von Spookiness, Siivet and Queen to share conversation and laughter, savor delectable meals and explore some very interesting locations of high myth, history and energy.

Saturday May 8th

Our Family Gathering began at a refined Lusitanian restaurant at a quiet little town on the outskirts of Lisbon called Linda-a-Velha. After recovering from our disappointment of the lack of Sangria, we did manage to catch up on conversation, enjoy our meal and savor some unusual bits of traditional cuisine. Kudos for Herr Wulfsunus! We commend his unabashed bravery for eating (and enjoying) the exotic local dishes of organ meats. Our pleasant evening ended with a car tour of the Oeiras area and much hopeful planning for the days to come.

Sunday May 9th

After repeatedly trusting Kate’s directions and repeatedly getting lost in the Oeiras region for about 2 hours, we did manage to begin our day and travel to the Convento de Cristo in Tomar.
Not exactly a convent, the fortress castle of Tomar was the seat of the Templar knights in Portugal. It reflects centuries of history, from the 12th to the 18th century. The expanse of land was a gift from the Portuguese king to the Knights Templar who latter became the Order of Christ. From what I understand it was first built inspired on Arabic Mosques and latter augmented to include not only a synagogue but also a church and a cathedral. It is good to see that there are continuous restoration efforts and archeological digs. Its elaborate architecture replete with esoteric symbolism is stunning and unforgettable; much of it having survived the ravages of nature, war and elements. I found a now walled in and barred doorway, The Portal of Blood, to be of particular note for its chaotic energy signature, but the whole place is fabulously proliferated by a lush energy that cannot easily be erased. Herr Wulfsunus and Lady Sequanna should have some amazing photography of the inner rooms and cloisters. The Templarian Knights are very linked with the legendary Holy Grail. Tomar is said to have been one of the secret locations of this coveted item.
After several hours at the convent, we stopped at the Plaza Gualdim Pais (It was he who ordered the building of the Convent and founded the city of Tomar) to share some coffee and sample the local pastries called “Beija-me Depressa” (Kiss me Quickly). They were delicious and were promptly devoured.
About 2 hours later we were in Sintra ready for a hearty dinner at a place in São Miguel das Ondrinhas highly recommended by Siivet and Von Spookiness for their high quality grilling and inviting Sangria. Finally some Sangria!! Lol
After dinner Siivet, Wulfsunus and I bravely ventured into the dark night to explore the fabulous nearby Neolithic site, which to me, is no doubt a remnant of those that arrived there from the sea, or rather from the lost Atlantis. These megalithic structures no doubt celebrated their arrival, their survival, those who did not, and this very place of high energy. It is unfortunate that some stones have been moved and removed by people who simply do not understand the importance of not disturbing these ancient sacred sites. It is obvious that this place is still used for ritual work. I found a very special energy here and a very stirring familiarity. While we did not take any evening pics Siivet, Von Spookiness and I did visit there a month earlier during the day and collected a few pics that we plan on sharing.
We also recommend visiting the nearby town museum and roman ruins...during visiting hours of course...

Monday May 10th

After wrestling with some car problems…and this time we cannot blame Kate… we departed joyfully to the beautiful medieval town of Obidos.
The spent hours walking the beautiful streets and well preserved walls of the Citadel of Obidos. It was positively charming! Originally it was a Roman settlement and later, like most Castles in Portugal, it was taken from the moors in 12th century. According to the legend, a young woman from the citadel was told in her dreams to go to the Portuguese and let a small group of them in thru an unwatched door while the other warriors would approach disguised…camouflaged as the woods. Today the quaint city, which extends well beyond its walls, still retains it medieval charm and is geared for tourism and study groups of all ages. It’s no surprise that there were ongoing preparations for a renaissance faire within the castle walls. Herr Wulfsunus, Queen and I had a wonderful day discovering the nooks and crannies all holding awesome views and delightful stories of its remote origins. My only regret in retrospect was that we did not stop to taste some of that local cherry wine served in the chocolate cups… sigh…
After a delicious lunch and far too much afternoon sun, Queen suggested we travel west to the Praia del Rey, The Kings Beach, which provided the perfect sunset capping a delightful day. The unexpected beach dunes appeared before us beyond the pine tree forests and the rural landscape. It’s no wonder that the aristocracy and modern society both choose that location. Presently it is a modern community dedicated to the flourishing local beach and golf resorts along the Silver coast.
We ended our day with an Italian meal in downtown Lisbon, recommended by Queen. The meal was quite nice, mine having been especially prepared for me by the chef, and the evening walk through town was quite fun. I’m still amazed how Viriato made it back to the car. Lol

Tuesday, May 11th

We decided to stay local, lots of diving the past couple of days and while we cannot exclusively fault Kate, we can certainly give her a well deserved rest from our demanding company. Today we took it easy and explored the coastline of Estoril, Cascais and Sintra.The beautiful coastline of Estoril is lined with luxurious homes, palaces and hotels. The 15th century fortress of São Julião da Barra at the edge of Carcavelos beach, Estoril adds a distinct picturesque element to the beachfront that invites us to travel to a far away time. This fortress was often referred to as The Shield of Portugal and it is still the residence of the country’s Minister of Defense. Groups of Surfers and Kite-surfers alike convene along the beach to decorate the sea and sky. Looking at old depictions of the area it is obvious that the sand was brought in to cover the underlying rock and provide a more welcoming oceanfront.
This fortress was built on the preexisting shrine of São Guião aka São Julião. The legend of São Julião (Saint Julian) is worthy of note. I cannot help to somehow parallel it to the story of Oedipus Rex. Shortly after Julian was born, a witch told his parents that Julian would kill them both. They considered disposing of the child but could not as Julian was a beautiful, good-tempered child who they loved, so they kept the child but were very troubled by this knowledge. As a young man Julian loved to hunt, one day a dying stag told him why his parents were so troubled. He assured his parents that no such thing would ever happen, although, that did not lighten their hearts and in time Julian left home, hoping never to be in his parents life again. Years passed the parents could not help to miss him. One day in their travels they visited a shrine far from their home where they asked to reunite with their son. As they were leaving the church they met a woman and asked if there was a place they could spend the night as they hoped to find their son Julian. The woman was Julian’s wife who welcomed the in-laws to the house and even offered her bed to them as they were old and tired. Julian was out hunting and again a stag told him that his wife was sleeping with another man. Julian ran home and saw a man and a woman in bed, assumed it was his wife and her lover and killed them both, fulfilling the prophecy. His grief was immeasurable. It was his love for Christ that helped him channel his grief into helping others by building hospitals and taking care of those afflicted with leprosy and pestilence.
As we traveled North to Cascais, we came to a must seep location called Boca do Inferno It’s no wonder why this beautiful location is called Hell’s Mouth. The rocky abyss is a beautiful yet dangerous spot constantly assaulted by the crashing roaring sea. To me it appears to have been a partially collapsed cavern. I did pick up some interesting energy and a vision of bloodthirsty sirens seducing men to their ecstasy and death in their embrace. Later I came to find from Von Spookiness that not only did Alistair Crowley choose to fake his suicide there (possibly due the association with this place´s clever name) but that it has always been a chosen spot for suicide.
We continued to travel North to Cabo da Roca, Sintra. It had been years since I had been at Cabo da Roca, The Promontory of the Moon, or otherwise the very end of the known world. There was thought to be the westernmost edge of the world, “where the land ends and the sea begins”. This steep cliff rises out of the sea 140 meters assuring a glorious sunset or sunrise, and if it wasn’t so very cold and windy there it would be a terrific place to meditate or hike; instead tourists and locals alike keep their trips short and their pictures few. Lovely spot though and the tourist office will even give you a certificate that you were in fact there.
There is a legend of a lost 4 year old boy who was thought to have fallen to his death at the Cape. For weeks no one could find the little boy, but one day a fishermen heard a boy crying and found him safe and sound in a very remote cavern in the cliffs. Noone could believe he was still alive after so long. His mother asked the boy how he ended up there and he responded that 3 witches had grabbed him and flew him thru the sky only to drop him there. Then his mother asked him if he was hungry, to what he responded: “Yes, but a beautiful lady came to give me soup every day.” Later, when his mother took him to church to thank god for her son’s wellbeing, her son said: “There!” he said pointing at the statue of Mary, “There is the beautiful lady who brought me soup.”
We closed our day at the old Gun Powder Factory in Oeiras now the campus of a prestigious university. We enjoyed the architectural details, the outdoor sculptures depicting the elements and the company at dinner, where Lady Sequanna, Her Wulfsunus and Queen helped me finish yet another pitcher of sangria.

Wednesday May 12th

Wulfsunus and I headed North to Coimbra, home of the oldest university in Europe. On the way we stopped at Fatima to visit the Sanctuary where all expected an outdoor mass with the Pope. The Fatima Sanctuary is buit on the site of the apparitions of Mary to the 3 children about 80 years ago. I personally find the energy of that place quite disturbing and could not wait to get out of town. There were throngs of people there, and its said that over half a million attended the Pope’s mass. After Lunch we continued North to Coimbra and spent most of the afternoon at Portugal dos Pequeninos where small scale replicas of all the cool architecture and monuments provided a perfect playground for curious children of all ages. We sure did take lots of pictures.
We really must thank Kate for having led us to this next lovely spot - the Fonte dos Amores (Fountain of Lovers) and the Fonte das Lagrimas (Fountain of Tears). For me, it was the most beautiful spot, and the most surprising of our trip. The 2 fountains are facing each other on a clearing in a remote section of a private garden surrounded by a very unusual flora that now belongs to the Botanical Gardens and the University of Coimbra. We entered thru a golf resort and ended up in a dark wooded area infused with a very special earth energy. The Fonte dos Amores is a fast running conduit of water that is framed with a stone duct. The water is fresh and cool and the atmosphere it elicits is truly romantic. Next to the fountain there is a gigantic Polish Fig Tree that screams Eternity. Across from the Fountain of Lovers, there is a very odd pool of water with greenery and foliage and only if you look closely right by the waterline might you see a water drop that now and then falls in the pool, this is the Fountain of Tears. How very appropriate that they are one across the other.
There is a legend of course…lol it tells of the Infant Don Pedro who fell in love with his cousin Dona Ines. While he was not allowed to marry her he did have an open affair with her that resulted in several children despite his own marriage. It is said that Don Pedro used the fountain’s quick moving waters to send messages to his lover. Years passed and tired of his son’s deplorable behavior, the king ordered Dona Ines killed. She was killed and it is said that the fountain of tears appeared after her death from her tears of sorrow. To end this beautifully morbid tale, Don Pedro went mad with sadness and rage, he killed the men responsible for Dona Ines’ death and soon after his wife and father also died. Don Pedro became king and had his now 5 years dead Dona Ines crowned as his queen on a throne before al to see … and even made all the royals kiss her decaying hand…
We stayed in Coimbra for dinner at an appropriately named Don Pedro Restaurant, chased after several black caped university students and we even saw a rainbow. It was a lovely day, wish you had all been there.

Thursday, May 13th

Thursday was the last day of our stay in Portugal, but our friends has a packed itinerary for Wulfsunus and I. Siivet and Von Spookiness directed us to the beach of São Julião, where we found the fountain of healing waters attributed to his good works. Then we were off to Praia da Ericeira, the surfing Mecca. But what I found truly beautiful was the caverns, overlooks and the rocky cliffs sculpted by sea, wind and man. Beautiful indeed. After lunch, we drove thru the countryside and visited another miniature village and headed to Palacio da Pena in Sintra. It had been about 20 – 25 yrs since I had been there last, I found to my dismay that much of the palace was now closed to the public. But it is still well worth a visit if you like mediaeval architecture, history, royalty and windswept views.
Inspired on Von Spookiness’ suggestion, we headed to the scenic overlook and sacred Fountain of Santa Eufemia da Serra. Wulfsunus fearlessly put the car in 1st gear and we proceeded uphill. When we finally reached the top there was a clearing a dried up fountain and an old plain looking church, which was closed. But I sensed something more and ventured into the woods. I could feel something change, something magical was happening. As the energy surged thru me I knew I was in a special place and a few yards away I saw Neolithic stones piled to for a gigantic altar and behind it a cross (circa 2006 AD) a top a high mound. Wulfsunnus and Lady Sequanna also climbed up to where the ancient altar and the all to modern cross were and they can corroborate that the energy there was astounding. After some research, I have come to find that not only were these stone Neolithic as I suspected circa 4000BC, but that was the site of The Temple of The Moon, Cynthia, and the birthplace of Sintra.
Santa Eufemia da Serra, a Christian martyr for whom the church was built also has a lovely magical story dating back to the 1200’s. Eufemia was the daughter of a Moor and a Christian, she was educated in both traditions and was literate (a rare thing in those days). She was regarded a holy woman and placed under the tutelage of a friar. It is said the governor’s son was madly in love with her, but Eufemia did not want a man; instead she sought chastity as a nun, so it was easy enough to promise the man chastity. Unfortunately the friar too became enamored of her but found all his advances rebuked. Thinking she might fall from grace he laced Eufemia’s tea with an herb that made her stomach swell as if she were pregnant. Seeing this, the Governor’s son was enraged and sent her to jail. There the jailers tried to rape her but became impotent, they tried to set her on fire but an angel came and lifted her above the flames, they threw her into a pit with bears yet instead of attacking, the bears welcomed her. Furious, the jailer pulled her out of the beast pit and ran his sword through her heart. She was killed of course, but so was he as the bears pounced him and his men and tore them limb from limb.
It is said that this fountain where we were at, appeared after her death and that Eufemia from time to time still appears there to tell her story to those who will listen. The healing fountain and the adjacent baths are now empty and dry because one of the late kings decided to reroute the holy waters to the Pena Palace for the exclusive use of the royalty. But you know what? We found a dollop of water in that fountain and used it for some serious energy working.
We ended our evening and our week’s discoveries having dinner and… you guessed it ‘more sangria!’ across from the Palacio da Villa, in the old section of Sintra. We harassed the waiters, made Lady Sequanna do terrible undoable things and took plenty of pictures to prove it.

I only wish Bholanath, NyxFury, Lady Aislin, Alterra, Deacon, Khan, and Ezikiel had all been there to share these wonderful moments with us, and while distance divides us physically, our spirit of brotherhood unites us deeper still, because where one of the Dreaming is, We All are. I cannot wait to return to my Family and friends that I left behind across the ocean in Portugal, and invite you to come visit me here in the US when you can. Should you be privy to any additional details on the legends and lore of these regions please do let me know.

I hope you enjoyed this recap as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Now onto the pictures!
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Return to Events