[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - Tapping Into the Ancients

Tapping Into the Ancients

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Tapping Into the Ancients

Postby Jezabel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:58 pm

What is an ancient? Surely depending on the individual, you are going to come up with a wide variety of answers, to some it may be the elements or animal spirits. To others it may be an all in one source creator, the Nephilim, gods from a given culture or cultures, and of course, there are those who do not believe in ancients at all. We all are entitled to our views and certainly our paths and natures may and often do play some if not a heavy role in our decisions as we often identify or recognize an ancients that is close to our own archetype. For example, a therian following the Asatru ways may not recognize Lilith as an ancient because she is not generally associated with theriantropy even though some believe she was the mother of the first therian as well, or found in Asatru, thus leaving this individual either unaware or non-believing of her presence, but that of course ancients can make themselves known, whether the person wants it or not, thus the individual is forced to either live their life in denial, or change their perceptions.

The ancient ones are our timeless teachers and guides, and perhaps in some cases, our creators. They span the times and the pantheons, reaching from as far back as creation to as early as the Middle Ages. Though who is and who is not an ancient is purely subjective as with many things on any area of magick and belief, those from the Middle Ages such as Vlad Tepes and Elizabeth Bathory are not necessarily in and of themselves ancients, but rather key archetypes or perhaps even better yet, were chosen vehicles for certain ancients via transmigration during that time period. However, if these individuals were “more in tune”, then it is very possibly that they could have simply been catalysts of the divine as all of us awakened ones are.

As a vampyre, one may identify with ancients such as Lilith, Cain, Kali, among others. Let us take a look at Lilith and define what makes her an ancient to so many in the vampyre community: Lilith is known to many as the first woman according to Hebrew lore, but she is also found in Sumerian and other ancient civilization beliefs and texts. So, how did the first woman become one of the several vampyric ancients? In the Hebrew mythos, it is believed that Lilith gave birth to several demons, some of which are believed to be vampyres. Others believe however, that her only offspring are of vampyric nature and of course, there is always the myth that she was a blood-thirsty child stealer and eater. Which ever belief holds true to the reader, along with her many incarnations, it cannot be denied that Lilith embodies the following qualities: animal symbology of the owl, lion, and serpent, dark feminine energy, wisdom, magick, seduction, as well as being associated with the moon. However, for many vampyres, she is much more than an archetype, demon, goddess, succubus, or mundane woman that was the first feminist. She is the dark mother, offering guidance through visions, dreams, and through other sources of both magickal and symbolic communication. Of course, each individual's experience with the dark mother will vary. Some may find her dark embrace terrifying while with others, it may bring a sense of ease. I of course, leave the reader to make his or her own conclusions. My personal experience with Lilith began with fear and confusion, however as time has progressed, my communication with her has changed to that of a deep respect for her and of understanding. Her presence is one that commands respect, however if you are willing to respect and acknowledge her, as with any ancient, there are rewards and perhaps some repercussions (if you don’t listen). Some if not all of us are truly children of Lilith and other than being an inspiration and source for those of vampyric nature, she also serves as a great role model for the female magician, Kitra, or an independent female. For more information on Lilith, you may want to check out the Torah, The Book of Lilith by Barbara Black Koltuv, Ph.D., The Epic of Gilgamesh, and Aeon’s article on Lilith (http://www.houseofthedreaming.net/messa ... .php?t=523), and my post in the general forum regarding Lilith’s Day, which contains web links as well as more information (http://www.houseofthedreaming.net/messa ... php?t=1095).

Therians are not without their ancients as well. While some, though greatly fewer in number than those of vampyric nature claim Lilith as an ancient, more popular ancients include Proteus, Loki, Morpheus (as well as his shifter siblings), and the first incarnations of certain animals’ and their spirits rank among their list. The Thunder beings, better known in some traditions as the Thunderbirds, (yet the Lakota traditions do not limit them to necessarily bird form and some may argue that they are the same creatures as the Phoenix) can also be seen as ancients both by the therian and many of the Native American cultures. The Thunder beings by some traditions can shift into a human form. The Thunder beings are believed to be beings that have existed since before the dawn of time and carry with them immeasurable wisdom and power. These beings primarily communicate through visions and dreams and it is believed that if one does not listen to their instructions that they will suffer from their wrath which can include a lifetime of hardship, being struck by lightning, or even death. This is one of the reasons the heyokas are well feared, yet respected because they are given special medicine, dreams, and visions via the Thunder beings. They are essentially a direct catalyst. For more information, see my article on heyokas (http://www.houseofthedreaming.net/messa ... .php?t=629).
The Thunder beings traditionally appear in mundane forms, except that their bodies are made of lightning and storm clouds and their voices are that of thunder. These beings are usually a strong and imposing force that command respect, but the knowledge that they hold is infinite. Unfortunately, rarely can one outside of being a heyoka approach these beings directly. One must either have a heyoka approach them on their behalf or have a dream or vision where a thunder being approaches them. The Thunder beings are not ones you want to say “no” to. Other than therians and those who follow a Native American tradition, I believe a Ramkht or a Mradu can benefit from their aid.

Another ancient who is probably held dear to many of us who grace the House of the Dreaming forum is Morpheus, the well known god of dreams. Though little is known of him, Morpheus is perhaps one of the most powerful ancients because to have power over dreams is to have power over all who sleep, whether it be a mortal man or a god...or perhaps even the other ancients. However, this means he has power over daydreams as well. Some may ask why Morpheus could be considered an ancient? Does Morpheus not comfort us in his embrace every time our heads touch upon our pillows? To have control or knowledge over our dreams is to know our hearts, minds, and souls-- our natures and our innermost fears and desires. Perhaps all of our “reality” is a dream and so are the other ancients…only Morpheus knows for sure. Morpheus, the Sandman, or whichever name you may wish to address him by, has been there since before our origins and helps us find ourselves and our natures both in our dreams and our nightmares. I personally have found Morpheus to be of a gentle, almost feminine nature-an androgynous individual, yet clearly male. His embrace yields gentleness, reassurance and affirmation that we are either on the right path or leads to the door of one.

We cannot pinpoint our nightside lineage down to one ancient in particular or even a small set of them, the ancients transcend the times and the races for they existed before the divide of races occurred. The ancients know us before we ever drew breath in our physical bodies, the deities and demons of today as well as long ago, and perhaps in certain cases, our friends and family from previous lifetimes. They are the eternal watchers in the mist, our archetypes and guides, being our flicker of light in what would otherwise be our dark, directionless void of a life. They teach us who we are and lead us to what we are to become.

Sometimes, one may question their own sanity after a visit from one of the ancients, and surely just, a sense of confusion, fulfillment, understanding, enlightenment, or a vast array of mental and emotional responses can stem from their encounters. Plenty of times I have wondered if I was going insane or if my mind was playing tricks on me when first encountering some of my “special guests”, but after confiding in a trusted friend and putting pieces together myself, I was assured it wasn’t the case. Besides, some of my “special guests” I had not only never encountered before, but knew nothing of them, not even their name until they told me! Which lead me to doing a lot of research on who this individual(s) was if he or she did in fact exist at all, etc. They made me think and instilled the confidence of who I am in regards to my nature in myself.

However, more than a name and a face, what one should consider most is what the message the ancients is trying to convey to you personally. It is not the who or why that is important as the WHAT it is that they want YOU to know or do. We all have a responsibility to all that we are connected to by our ancient heritage to contribute to our community and surpass those who preceded us. The ancients are fierce instructors who guide us into self realization, transformation, and transcendence.

How do we tap into the ancients? How do we heed their calls? Some believe the best time and our most sacred time, such as in Hindu and Lakota cultures is our time when we are in between dreaming or sleeping and consciousness. It is in this state that they believe that we are closer to the spirit or astral world and our communication potential for them is at its apex. Many seers obtain visions and messages from this sacred time. Try to be open and pay closer attention while in this state, perhaps you have been getting a visitor and have been brushing it off…

Dreaming is another way many receive their messages. This goes back into the whole question as if dreamers are the ones who are actually awake? Dreams may even be coupled with astral travel as some do dip into the astral as they slumber; both are effective ways to reach out and communicate to the ancient ones along with going on shamanic journeys, vision quests, which I have explained in my article comparing shamanic journey work and astral travel, concluding that they are one in the same thing(http://www.houseofthedreaming.net/messa ... .php?t=782).

The ancients are always here and around us to guide us, whispering in our ears, but many forgotten how to listen and thus, some in denial or jealousy, brush off those who do. We all have the potential to communicate with those who have come before us, all you have to do is open your dreaming eyes, mind, and ears and listen.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

"Before you speak, ask yourself ; is it kind? is it true? does it improve on the silence?" - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jezabel

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:13 pm

Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Jezabel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:07 am

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

"Before you speak, ask yourself ; is it kind? is it true? does it improve on the silence?" - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jezabel

Postby deacongray » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 pm

deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby The Madame X » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:58 pm

bump
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby darknessbeloved » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:15 pm

thanks for the bump.Very inspiring!D.B
darknessbeloved

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)