Creating A Stone Circle

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Creating A Stone Circle

Postby Syngin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:58 am

Creating A Stone Circle

In almost every tradition, when you are meditating or working with the
mysterious creative energies of the Universe it is recommended that you do so within the safety of a circle. It can be as simple as drawing a circle in the dirt with a staff, knife or stick, or an elaborate ceremonial circle enhanced with sacred symbols of protection.

As a student of the stones, and since many of my meditations are for
learning from crystals and stones, it only seemed appropriate to create my ceremonial circle using Mother's gems. Because I feel very close to the rhythms of Mother Earth's natural cycles and the richness of the four Seasons/Directions, I wanted to bring that energy I was so comfortable with into my circle. After some meditation and a visit with my favorite Rose Quartz, here is how I decided to create my Stone Circle.

Beginning with the first New Moon of Spring, I choose a stone that echoed Spring's energies and left it outside to charge through the full cycle to the next New Moon. To charge the stone, I set it on the East Altar in my yard, starting at the beginning (or as close to it as I could) of the New Moon. Leaving it out to absorb all the aspects of that cycle of Spring.

Through each of Spring's Moon cycles I charged a different crystal, each chosen to represent the many gifts of Spring; Air, rebirth, teachings. My first Spring stone was a Rose Quartz, because it has always been one of my favorite teachers. The Spring Moon and Sun also blessed a Quartz crystal egg and a stone borrowed from Missouri’s highest point. These stones would represent East and it's different blessings in my circle.

I repeated these steps for every season, for a whole year. While I was anxious to have my Circle, I also knew that patience needed to be practiced. Building my circle one Moon at a time was the only way I felt I could recreate the earth rhythms I wanted.

For the first new Moon of each season I choose a crystal that represented the primary element I honored in that season. Rose Quartz represents Air in the East (Spring) for me, because that is the first color Father Sky wears when the sunrise wakes Him each new day. Plus, to me, the new sunrise is one of Nature's most profound lessons. That no matter how dark the night, as long as you keep turning, the light will return.

In the South (Summer), a golden Tiger's Eye represents Fire, a stone borrowed from Lake Michigan honors Water in the West (Fall) and a rainbow Fluorite shows gratitude for Mother's colorful gifts at my North(Winter) point.

Some of the stones are nicely carved spheres or wands. Some were stones that spoke out as I passed during my different journeys. I acquired each stone at its appropriate time, never too soon.

You may want to incorporate other items into your Circle. Choose things because they invoke a response or emotion within you. This is where your creative energy begins. I choose to follow the seasons in creating my circle because I feel empowered and inspired by mysterious magic of this physical planet and universe. Follow your own inspirations to your power sources and choose symbols that help you tap into that.

Do you live in the city and your only safe access to the outdoors is a small balcony or windowsill? Find a larger stone (go to a garden center if you have to) that has a shape with a predominate point, like a triangle to use as your altar. Since you can't set up four altar points on a windowsill, tiny balcony or some backyards, use your large stone to change seasons. Each season turn your point to the direction you honor with that time of year. For instance, Winter is North for me.

Please keep in mind that the pattern I used to build my Stone Circle may not be correct for you. I share it in hopes that you will feel safe to experiment with your own instincts. There is no right or wrong way to honor and connect with your Divine Source. There is only the loss in not doing so.
I Tego Arcana Dei
Syngin
Syngin

Postby Darkness » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:46 am

Syngin: This article speaks to me sooo powerfully. I have wanted an outdoor altar for so long, but live in a townhouse and it makes it difficult. I've already started making notes after learning things and being reminded of things from your article. Thank you. --Darkness*
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid - Einstein
Darkness

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:04 am

We're looking into purchasing a place of our own in November and I have every intention of erecting such a spot. There is something to be said about working magick outside, under the stars and especially so within a ring of stones. My husband is working on a garden at which the center will be a mini stonehedge and altar in the center of a solar cross garden. I'd love to do the garden in element colors. It'll be a while before we can put it in motion but I still can't wait. Especially since we simply don't have the room in our apartment for a temple room.

Eternally,

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Syngin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 pm

I have a ritual room but unfortunately I can barely get in the door because I have crammed so much stuff into it.
I Tego Arcana Dei
Syngin
Syngin

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)