The Ward Mentor Bond

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

The Ward Mentor Bond

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 am

The Ward/ Mentor Bond

© Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan, January 2008

When we first enter the community we are green as grass but have at best read fiction of our kind. Some may even have been fortunate enough to have read articles or come across forums such as this and have been able to gather some information regarding their nature and healthy ways to maintain and live their lives. At some point a young one may also desire the formal training and education that can only be received from a mentor, someone of good standing within the community who is knowledgeable about the Nightkind nature and is in a position to train and nurture. Choosing a mentor is not easy work. Research is a must as is compatability and a willingness to work on the part of the intended ward. A ward who expects their mentor to tell them everything within a month or two is out of luck. A ward/mentor relationship may carry on for years even decades as a healthy relationship often thrives on the advice of the mentor and the respect of the ward. A ward who does not listen to the counsel and teaching of the mentor does not respect their teacher. The teacher who does not value the challenges of a willful ward may forget what it was like when they first entered the community. Sometimes willfulness and disrespect is wrought not with hatred or arrogance but with fear and lack of self acceptance of one’s nature. All in all one should nurture the best qualities in the other in order to build a healthy bond between them.

Wards are typically those who have awakened or in the process of awakening although they may also be Dhampyre as well (those who are born aware of their nature and partially if not fully awakened). They may be referred to their mentor via word of mouth or they may simply come across their writing or other form of reference and seek them out. It is important for the ward to understand that even though the mentor is there to provide a positive experience they are certainly responsible for their own education and at best in part responsible for the bond that forms. Someone seeking mentorship should be of legal age and of a positive state of mind. A good spiritual background of life affirming philosophy is a good sign that the person seeking mentorship is willing to study and progress their lives on all levels. Although the vampyre nature is not always based solely in the spiritual, it helps to have a path in place whether left or right that balances and grounds the person. An unbalanced ward is less likely to be receptive to constructive criticism and advice and more likely to get into mischief.

Mentors are those who are the teachers of the community and who have earned the right to mentor through years of experience and wisdom. A person will have many mentors throughout their life on both dayside and nightside. These are the people who have helped shape the person you are and the person you will become through integrity, wisdom, and respect. They may be the math teacher in high school that took the extra time to help you, the coach that lifted your spirits when you were down, the pastor or priestess that aided you spiritually, or the vampyre who aided you in your awakening. They are the most balanced of the community having achieved Twilight and a good understanding of both human and Nightkind nature. The experiences that they pass on are drops of wisdom learned in their younger days. When your mentor speaks, listen. Speak your mind with respect and honor, they have earned both.

Generally speaking the ward mentor bond is a close one. It may range from deep friendship to one of familial attachment. Be close but not too close. Mentors should understand that their ward is learning and will make mistakes. Wards should arm themselves with fortitude and acumen as to be willing to grow. Both should be tempered with grace and patience. Life happens. Sometimes things interfere causing other things to be postponed or altered altogether. Adaptability and flexibility are integral as each must adapt not only to their own changes in life but also to each other’s so that they are better suited to work together.

Sometimes your adra and your mentor will be the same person. Many times they will not. Choose your ward as you would your chylde/nadja as they will reflect upon you for good or ill simply because of their attachment. Protect them as you would your donor but do not shelter them. Young ones warrant warnings of danger otherwise they would not be aware of them. This community shimmers with a dark gleam. It is easy for a young one to become awed by it and by individuals who do not have their best interest at heart. However as all children do, they will make their own decisions. The purpose of a mentor is guidance. Generally speaking I may warn a young one once of trouble. I will not do so a second time should they not heed my advice the first time. The Nightkind community is not a kind one, nor is it forgiving. It is not fashioned from doves but from wolves, often in sheep’s clothing. If a young one is to grow within this community they must be aware of the dangers and pitfalls as well as the pleasures and rewards. Should they stumble but not dishonor theirself or their mentor, they are well and good to continue tutelage. Should they be dishonored beyond repair or cause dishonor or disgrace to fall upon the shoulders of their mentor, they are lost. Redemption (the public act of forgiveness by a sire/adra or mentor for their ward or chylde/nadja) is at the discretion of the mentor. The final decision should always be respected as it was made for a good reason.

Should the bond be one of adra and nadja, the bond will be deeper because of the act of communion. This relationship will carry an intimacy that mentoring will not. They will develop an empathy for each other and gifts such as the beacon, telepathy, shared thoughts and dreams will be strong between them. This is because of the heightened awareness that one has triggered within the other. The elevated vibration of the nadja allows them to be sympathetic and receptive to the vibration of the adra thus acutely sensitive and aware of their presence and state. This is in place to aid the adra in the growth and protection of their nadja. No two students will learn the same way, nor will they learn in the same period of time. Some will take longer to work with while some breeze through their study. Many will only be able to learn from working within through experience and hands on teaching, although not necessarily physical activity. This has been my manner of teaching for quite a while and I’ve found it to be very effective. This bond between the two is also in place so that when the energy of the nadja is high they may be pushed. When the energy is low, it is time to rest and choose another form of study that moves the nadja inward for personal and spiritual foundation rather than outward which moves them to a more active place.

Your adra like your mentors, will be the person you have the most contact with throughout your tenure within the Nightkind community. Be as sure of your choice to be active within it as your choice of mentors and sire. You will only have one sire. You will have many mentors. To be chosen as nadja is an honor. To accept the right one is a gift. To be mentored is an offering. They should all be respected.
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby rhen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:35 am

I couldn't agree more. I find that if a teacher and student are not compatible then nothing productive will come out of their course of study.I wish all teachers had your aspect when concerning their pupils.

Rhen
rhen

Re: The Ward Mentor Bond

Postby Ookami » Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 am

I agree with rhen, your way of teaching is utopian. It most probably shows through your nadja and wards.

I will do well to heed your words of wisdom about the community and be sure to stay alert and conscious of my actions. Thank you for this post, it is really helpful for use young ones.

It seems that for some sire/nadja relationships that there is a strong sexual side. Is this sometime true as well for mentors and wards?
"Look upon the world and see that It looks back at you, Never forget what we fight for"
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsely believe they are free"
Ookami
Dedicant

Postby The Madame X » Tue May 10, 2011 2:10 pm

It certainly does not have to be so. But often the lines are blurred...keep in mind exploring these matters is often a very intimate and profound experience for both, combine that with deep mutual admiration and highly charismatic individuals and you have an explosive mix.
yet, some say that much more learning takes place within the 'in-love' state of mind because both partners are open, receptive, without fear nor reservations.
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby Ookami » Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Certainly.
I did not mean to question with negative connotations. I was just asking if it happened between mentors and their wards too.

I agree only in theory, I have not yet had the pleasure of such things seeing as most of my great teachers so far have been men. It is only speculation but like you said. The bonds and experienced shared are very profound and touching, I can see where that may bring two souls together in such ways.
Thank you for your answer.
"Look upon the world and see that It looks back at you, Never forget what we fight for"
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsely believe they are free"
Ookami
Dedicant

Postby deacongray » Mon May 16, 2011 5:38 pm

It is difficult to make those connections. I mean there is much that both parties have to do, and there is a commitment that people really don't understand in a lot of cases going in.
Wicked Warrior
deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby Ookami » Tue May 17, 2011 7:10 am

In that case I will just wait for my time, instead of asking questions which i wont understand the answer to prematurely.
Ookami
Dedicant

Postby deacongray » Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Don't worry about asking questions. We don't mind questions, its the best way to learn.
Wicked Warrior
deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby Ookami » Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you Decon but I'm afraid its true. What is the point of having a lavish meal before me If I do not posses the hunger nor the stomach to appreciate it with.
Ookami
Dedicant

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Thank you Ookami. :D

Sometimes a sexual attraction rears it's head...no pun intended...and it has a lot to do with the sharing of wisdom, the depth of respect, and also the intimacy of the teachings. If you have a deep secret with someone and only that someone it can bring about relatively intense feelings. Sometimes these things happen and they work out, most of the time they don't. If they don't work then there is animosity where there was once respect.

Eternally,

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Ookami » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 pm

I will keep that in mind, thank you lady Aislin
Ookami
Dedicant

Postby The Madame X » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:51 pm

To my sister Aislin's last remark, I would like to add that if a situation, any type of relationship actually, doesn't work out that i would hope that resentment can be avoided, overcome and that instead we can look back on the situation as a growing experience, and even cherished for its fruits, as every relationship has them regardless of how dire its conclusion.
We should never live our lives fearful of bad endings, instead we should procede with acumen toward developing new relationships and alow situations to unfold and reveal themselves to us, so that we may have the opportunity to learn, teach even love. There is a reason why we are drawn to the light. We need to be wise enough to differentiate warming lift and burning fire ... but perhaps that too comes with experience...
Some times we cannot see the forest for the trees, but when can we breath without air?
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby Eilyn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Balance. There must be balance between ward and mentor, just like balance in all things. Balance can be seen as compatibility. Though balance may be adjusted and worked for.
No relationship is easy, regardless of what kind. I think, as long as the ward hasn't messed up too much, that persistence in finding that balance is crucial. It's a big choice for both individuals. If you're going to make it, then be prepared to work at it.
I have no sword. I make "No mind" my sword.
Eilyn

Postby Yami Hikari » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I agree with Aislin that the mentor should be respected, there are times we don't want to listen, times that we want something to be true so bad we cast a veil over our own eyes to the truth, but you have to remenber they're your mentor for a reason. They have more experiance and that's not something you can make up for with just knowledge, it's an invaluable asset to the person, no matter if they be bad or good. If they're good, you've had some peaceful times, if they're bad, they're something you call pull from to learn.
Nothing happens without a reason and you can always find a way to take something away from that experiance to get stronger, you just have to be willing to see it and accept it. That's perhaps the hardest part, you want to get upset, to indulge in a distraction from your path, and everyone will have their times they do so, but you have to keep going. The difference is how long it takes you to get your act together.
I'm greatful for the mentorship I'm receiving now, I didn't really know what I was missing out on before now, but I have to say I'm enjoying it.
-Yami
"What you fear, I embrace, for what comes will come and I will not spend my days cowering, but learning, loving, and dreaming."
"Let them talk, build your own path and move foward, let no other hold you back in the past"
Yami Hikari

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)