[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - Dignity...Party of Two...Your Table is Ready.....

Dignity...Party of Two...Your Table is Ready.....

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Dignity...Party of Two...Your Table is Ready.....

Postby Khan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 am

reprinted from my original post on VVC:

It's time again for the jaded guy with the dry wit to run off at the mouth. If you are not a fan of such things, by all means, please go to the next topic.

We have lost our Way. There was a time in our history where our kind were known for being dignified and classy. We had carriage and presence. Even dressed in black from head to toe and frightening the neighbors with our looks, we still has some class about our kind that made the rest of the world wonder.

Those days are about dead. What vampires used to stand for, and I don't mean the movie variety, has gone from being dark and mysterious to angsty 21st century club kids who shop at Hot Topic. What once was seen as a gift to be different than the mainstream has been subjugated by 16 year old kids who quote the mantra, "I'm a vampire because I had an awakening. I feed on prana through my chakras." Most of these folks don't even know what they're saying, but so many "support pages" have been spoon feeding these lackluster World Of Warcraft failures all of the answers without encouraging them to think for themselves that they have made a mockery of us all.

We sit behind computers and gossip about Don or Michelle or Sebatiaan like we are reciting the National Enquirer talking about what Madonna had for lunch, or who Paris Hilton screwed this week. The conventional saying is that we can never rise until we reach rock bottom.

I say to you, friends and colleagues, brothers and sisters, rock bottom can now be seen with the naked eye. The Vampyres movie was released on YouTube, and everyone who is supposed to be the voice of reason starts running around like Armageddon is here. A month later, after all of the sheer panic, the movie is gone. What example are we giving? What do we even stand for anymore? Are we just bored at this point?

I honestly believe now is the time we start separating ourselves from the sheep. People who are "leaders" need to start leading for a change. Believe me, you shall find no shortage of followers. Go to any forum in our society, and there are multitudes waiting for your guidance because mommy didn't love them enough, or they were upset their boyfriend cheated on them, so they want to get back at them by being dark and creepy. Any of us who have met in person know instantly who is one of our kind, and who is just trying to fit in for acceptance.

Now is the time where we meet all of these folks wanting just to fit in somewhere because they have no self-esteem and tell them they aren't one of us. Direct them to a 12 step program. Suggest a good self-help book or a competent psychotherapist. In the name of something holy, please, let us stop welcoming them all with open arms for the sake of being inclusive and not wanting anyone's feelings getting hurt. Instead of them being like us, we are becoming more like them every day. I honestly believe that those who passed before us are crying for what we are doing to their memory.

History is not dictated by what we do now, but what the future sees in the evaluation of our actions. What shall our part of history be? Will we be the ones who righted what has been wronged, or shall we be known as the group that brought vampire society to the depths of insignificance?

This is not just a post on the internet. I'm bringing this way of life with me to Twilight. I'm bringing it to Dracula's Ball. I'm going to do whatever I can to get the sheep out of the house and back in the yard where they belong. I do hope there might be one or two that is willing to share this ideal. I won't quit or die if you don't. I am lucky enough that my beliefs don't require approval to be valid.

To be respected, one has to be respectable. To be honorable, one has to act with honor. To be believed, one has to speak the truth, even when it hurts.

We have lost our Way, and I hope it is found for our kind before I'm dead and gone.
Khan
Ramkht, House of the Dreaming
Candor Dat Viribus Alas

"You tell them I'm coming, and Hell is coming with me."
Khan

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for years. I could not agree with you more.
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Berinvonn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 am

Berinvonn

Postby deacongray » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:16 am

Indeed there is no end to would be leaders. I have been around a little while and at lest 10 times a year some one steps forward and says theya re gonna build unity, they are gonna draw everyone together, and bring back the glory...or some such rubish.

Sorry this is one area I am not in agreement with you Khan, not because it isn't a beautiful idea, but because it is the same old thing all over again.

The community is so eager to set up a new pecking order, and of course include themselves in it, that they only seldom actually accomplish anything past having many meetings about meetings for the sake of meetings...

Leadership is about more than rhetoric, and a well written piece...heck if they are the case I would rule the world...There has to be action to back stuff up.

Before we develop new councils and declair the social elite, why not jump into some real causes?

Why not work to set up the next big thing/event directed at providing money for some charity, or the humane society...why not actually make a real social difference rather than more endless self promotion of the community to no end?

I guess I don't really disagree with you Khan I just feel that we need to really lead somewhere, not just lead for the sake of standing pretty before the countless followers.

Deacon
deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby Arioch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:00 am

Dark Blessings,
Arioch

It is not heresy and I will not repent!
Arioch

Postby Khan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm

How about establishing a mindset that we cater to our own, from businesses to media? Or maybe establishing a consensus on what we feel is helpful information and finding one place for it? Even create the idea that what is exposed to the mainstream is ours to control, instead of hoping the mainstreamers might one day "accept" us. Work together with other groups to have our own events, so our paychecks get circulated to those of us in our society, and we stop hearing how everyone's too broke to participate in functions.

I get tired of the same "unity" talk too, Deacon. I know this isn't an item of contention to either of us. I haven't been around the "OVC" as long as most others. Read any board or forum, and the same talk of "acceptance" is easily found. I don't buy it.

I guess I have a different mindset than many. I don't care if we are part of the fabric of mainstream society. If it was that great in the first place, I'd already be well entrenched in the Biff and Muffy lifestyle.

I cannot control anyone else. I will do what I think I need to do, and let others stand by me if they wish. And those who wish to nay say have that right. I just won't claim them to be just like me.

Leadership isn't about what you start. It's about what you finish, and your resolve as you get there.
Khan
Candor Dat Viribus Alas

Khan

Postby Arioch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Dark Blessings,
Arioch

It is not heresy and I will not repent!
Arioch

A short aside...

Postby EzikielTempted » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 am

Not being an official member of any house or group (this aside, however I'm not "family" proper) I'll be making this post as just that. I'd like to offer a disclaimer, but I'm sure you guys know me well enough to know that I'm not just going to bash and dash. Haven't done it yet, don't plan on it any time soon.

The Vampire community is as diverse as any other. True, we have the politics around that one would think could provide structure and form to an amoeba if it would crack down.

However, if there was whip cracking (and I don't mean in that life affirming way we all hope and dream) upon the members of this community, those of us who have an opinion on how things were run would go and start their own houses and forum boards (seems apathetic leadership has the same effect).

If there is going to be any sort of change, it has to come from consensus. A small group of individuals with a singular goal has a better chance of changing the flow of mainstream then one person claiming to be a leader. Any and everybody around would simply look away and scoff if one person stood up and started barking orders on how we are to compose ourselves. (Example, I get up on my soap box and start tell you all to quiet down and suck it up. Would anybody listen to me? Hardly! I haven't established myself as a valid candidate for leadership. I'm sure everyone in their "humble opinion" would label me a loon and walk away.)

If someone were to stand as a leader, it would have to be somebody respected, and theywould have to have a small inner circle to act as delegates. Hell, you'd probably even need a moderator in at least every house that acts as a separate entity from the house itself.

Now, there will always be that one section of people that we all look at and laugh. In this community, it's because they bring us a deep shame. In high school, it's because they don't wear the right clothes. (Obviously it's a pretty drastic metaphor, however I do believe it gets the point across.)

So, I would just like a quick synopsis of how we, as a community, should enact this change. Like you had stated, rock bottom is the only time one can rise- do you think it would be one person that leads us back into the archetype of mystery and power, or will it be a group? And what does rock bottom look like for us?

Will rock bottom be that all of the influential members leave those of us truly wishing to become a part of a failing society? Or will rock bottom be when the ones joining us because it "oh so tres chic to like, suck blood" over take us and become the group that we are known for?

This is becoming a long post, and I apologize for that, however I do have one last thing to type (and hope that my sincerity in saying this is not lost).

I've gotten to know some pretty amazing people since I joined this forum. Not one of them has ever made me feel as if my way of learning or doing things has ever been wrong, even when it's been different from theirs.

But I haven't heard of anybody standing up and taking the role of leader, because we all know how hard it would be, and the sacrifices that would need to be made in order to become the leader(s) that the community would need.

Thanks for reading my long rambling post. I'm sorry that it took so long.
SINcerely,

Ezikiel
House of the Dreaming
Vox Homunculi

"There is no nightmare more potent than a memory."
EzikielTempted

Postby Khan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 am

Good post, Ezekiel. I'll do what I can to address your points since I was the one who opened this can of worms.

I have never believed that a leader tells people what to do, nor do I think that there has to be one person in charge. And I certainly believe that anyone who calls themselves a master of anything is truly a master of nothing. I have always contended that a leader does what he/ she believes, and those with like minds will wish to be a part of that. The only way to build a consensus is for something to be done. A leader doesn't have to announce that they are a leader. Talk is great, and you'll find it everywhere, but very little gets done.

You go anywhere in the "online community", and you see the same two things: People arguing over the definition of vampire, and people claiming superiority over another. What is missing is the mindset of the ties that bind our society, and the understanding that our society isn't just vampires.

And part of what has made us get to rock bottom, as it were, is that there are vast majority of folks that think if someone shows up and says, "My mom says I sleep all day, I'm more perceptive at night, so I must be a vampire...", there are a plethora of of places where someone making themselves Grand Vampire Poobah brings them in and says, "Yes. You are a vampire. Join our club, give us your t-shirt size, and enjoy the pie and kool-aid." When someone stands up to tell them that this teenager isn't a vampire, but a child who hasn't had much parenting and is just bored, the masses come out, grumble, grumble, grumble, and cry about elitism and start calling each other names across the internet.

I'm just tossing the bullshit flag, in the hopes that others who are like minded will want to do the same. I don't need a club, a group, or a House to do that. I do it because the first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem, and I believe that the only way I am worth my weight is to say what I believe instead of trying to fit in. Our ideals are only worth a damn if we are willing to fight for them, even when it's not popular amongst the masses. I'm not running for political office, so public opinion polls mean squat to me.

And though I'm not looking to be the leader of anything, I also know that there are others who believe this for themselves, just as there are folks who want to be popular and all-inclusive.

I'm no more or less a vampire than Michelle Belanger, Madame X, Arioch, or any other of my colleagues that take in the essence of another to feed themselves. We all do it different ways. My words are about those who don't and want to be "one of us." Wanting to juggle energy balls for a hobby, or using blood for a spell doesn't make one a vampire, and I'm willing to put my name on the line to point this out. You'll have no problem finding folks who will call me names or besmirch who I am when they don't agree. I'm not concerned what they say, as I know that what I say has been consistent since I first opened my big mouth, and I'm trying to do something about it.

The whole point of any of this rambling is that apathy has made us ineffective in looking out for our own. I'd like to see that change, and we need to start somewhere, because what we have as a society isn't something to hang our hat on just yet.
Khan
Candor Dat Viribus Alas

Khan

Postby EzikielTempted » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:17 am

SINcerely,

Ezikiel
House of the Dreaming
Vox Homunculi

"There is no nightmare more potent than a memory."
EzikielTempted

Postby deacongray » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:15 am

I will look forward to seeing what you come up with. If you need a hand let me know.

There as several things you have said that I am not sure I agree with, bu if we all agreed on everything all the time it we would not be individuals.

I was glad to see you are working with lady Cg and Sangi to some extent on their idea of the vampyre library, an wish you the best of luck.

Deacon
deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Apathy is indeed the virus of the community. The death of compassion which is the one thing that keeps us from being completely and wholely predatory. Using blood for a spell is fine, it is wonderful and exotic, but there is indeed a difference between wanting it for a spell and needing it to regain one's spiritual health and thus maintain one's physical health. At the same time I noticed that so many want to introduce themselves according to their feeding style. Personally that is an intimate thing between myself and my donor. It is not who I am nor is it the way I choose to be known.

The issues in the community go so much deeper than gossip, personal attacks, and slander. Although there is plenty of that to go around. Personal agendas, duplicity, and general as you stated apathy is killing this community. I could care less about the events. They are fun, they are a wonderful excuse to dress up and impress but they are not the mortar and brick of the community. They are simply there for promotional or entertainment value. They offer no spiritual or mental stimulation but plenty of opportunities for self grandizing and promotion.

Leadership comes in many ways. Not all leaders are on every single vampyre or nightkind board. Not all leaders use titles or even want them. Not all leaders want to be known. I know of a few that are very old school and very traditional and don't want to be known other than to the people that matter. I am every bit as content to remain in the shadows than to be in the public eye. In fact I prefer it because it seems that is where I do the most good. That is where my dark light shines the brightest. Leadership is not always what is seen. Many times it is what is not seen.

The loudest voice does not always make the best leader. Discretion is truly the best part of valor.

Eternally,

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby deacongray » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Today we see an old bred in new cloths. Those that try to work the court..so to speak, and gain favor of the politically expediant Lords and Ladies.

This community has always had the issue, indeed most have, of everyone trying to be either part of the old guard, or the next big thing, with out really looking at the reality of their social climbing.

While we are social climbing we seldom find real growth in our selves. We tend to be so busy focusing the light on own own success' por prospective success that we fail to see we have gained nothing personally accept used to the light.
Wicked Warrior
deacongray
Member / Elder

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)