[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - Warning: Toxic!

Warning: Toxic!

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Warning: Toxic!

Postby The Madame X » Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby SoVeReIgN » Sun May 04, 2008 7:23 pm

SoVeReIgN

Postby RavenHarte » Mon May 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Blessings Light & Dark
~v~RavenHarte~v~
HPS Clann Caladvwlch
RavenHarte

Postby The Madame X » Mon May 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby EzikielTempted » Tue May 06, 2008 8:07 am

SINcerely,

Ezikiel
House of the Dreaming
Vox Homunculi

"There is no nightmare more potent than a memory."
EzikielTempted

Postby Dys » Sun May 11, 2008 3:04 pm

"Expect nothing, but be prepared for anything"-Dys

"We are twilit spirits racing through the Dream...lets not forget to stop & smell the roses..."-Dys

myspace.com/lord_dys
Dys

Postby Khan » Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Khan
Ramkht, House of the Dreaming
Candor Dat Viribus Alas

"You tell them I'm coming, and Hell is coming with me."
Khan

Postby Amara-Syn » Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 pm

If you are looking for the answers, dare to look inside yourself!!!
Amara-Syn

Re: Warning: Toxic!

Postby LadyGigiFrost » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 am

MadameX.
Thank you for bumping this for me.
I just wanted to let you know that I am going through this post and reading it .

Lady Frost
BlackSwan to Master Deacon
Dreaming of Dreaming ~Lady Frost
LadyGigiFrost
Black Swan

Postby SophieAnn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

Hello.

I agree with what has been posted here, but there is something I want to add.

I believe it is both necessary and healthy to observe unhealthy relationships concerning the people around us. There are some who seem to dwell on drama and also use this as an instigator to thrive on others' energy (also giving the rest of us a bad name). I certainly know that there have been emotional vampires in my past, and some who I have needed help to prise away from my space after I have done all I can.

However, as a counselling student I do want to question the way we use 'toxic'. To me toxicity means 'poison', 'to be avoided'. Even when the concept of pain is so paramount, I feel for the person who strives to gain emotional energy in this way. To suggest toxic is to assume that for as long as the label stands (and usually much longer than it need) a person is beyond the need, the comfort and the love of another. Even a drama queen has needs!

I would also like to draw attention to the idea of emotional and mental disorders. The ones that spring to mind immediately are bipolar and borderline personality disorders. Within the former, the sufferer is driven to extremes between being needy, and being high. Unlike emotional vampiricism where the need is to attain energy from maintaining dramas, within bipolar the sufferer is driven towards extremes, often involving others to support them through the lows and keep them safe during highs. For anyone involved, this is exhausting and demanding and often drugs are the only way of dealing with this: mindfulness and talking therapies only have a limited effect. To the sufferer there is the prospect of suicide. To the carer, there is the constant draining and demands.

Borderline personality is often characterised by neediness of sucking another in to what is at first glance quite easy to sort out but becomes ever more complex. Like a proverbial fly within a web each attempt to struggle out gets entangled deeper. Boderline personality sufferers often have difficulty understanding reality (or what most of us would identify as a solid enough reality to connect with others!) and that distortion affects negatively their view upon themselves and the world. I believe this can also be confused with emotional vampiricism since there is a need to hook others into a web of drama.

In both of these examples, serious help is needed. Yes, should we become entangled within their dramas, we need (as per the example of the emotional vampire) to get out. But we also need to realise these people need help, and to use whatever resources we have to encourage a person to attain it. Should they not do so, this is of course their choice and they need to realise there is only so much we can do. (even I as a potential therapist can only do so much with theories and voice.) But please.... these are people who need our love and recognition. They are suffering. Let us, at least within our minds not call 'them' 'toxic' but instead send them our love and very best wishes. Who knows how long it will be before they meet another who can do this?

Sophie
Make every moment special
SophieAnn

Postby Lynskha » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:56 pm

That is a good topic to be dicussed. Unfortunately I believe most of us came across situations like that. People that simply act in a way to drain others, and people do not realize and do everything to protect and help them. Even losing money, facing problems at work or with family in order to defend these toxic people. Sometimes it is hard to get out of a situation like that.
Lynskha

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)