Blood: The Last Vampire (film)

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Blood: The Last Vampire (film)

Postby SophieAnn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:36 am

In my opinion, Blood: The Last Vampire is no ordinary vampire film. Those paying close attention will immediately notice the heroine’s features lacking the usual fangs, and the dreaded exposure to sunlight does not feature as we see her training with the sun beaming upon her back. Additionally, the Vampire is not the one to be feared: as with Underworld she fights an even deadlier enemy and one she believes must be defeated in order for the human race to survive. (At the end, she finds that some of the darkness she has been seeking to defeat also exists within herself as part of her nature, and again this interplay of light and dark within oneself is both (in my view) poetic and beautiful).

However, there are even deeper truths contained within. Despite her need for blood, the entire film draws upon her continual search for self-recognition working through the depth of her inner existence. Interestingly, never once does the word ‘vampire’ feature, except within the title itself, highlighted only by her need for blood to preserve her immortal existence. Whilst those who realise mortal immortality is in itself a contradiction, perhaps there is a deeper truth contained within the immortality of our own spiritual existence and how we carry knowledge from one life to another.

Within this film, Saya continually struggles to find her own balance of light and darkness. She finds she has a soul and thus is capable of choice, continually hounded by her own inner needs and instincts, artistically ensuring those who need saving are kept as far from danger as is possible whilst confronting the dangers only she is able to face. A memorable moment for me within the film in which an ordinary mortal chooses to save Saya’s life repaying the kindness that was once offered to her is very striking; when the vampire looks up into her eyes and asks “why did you save me” and for the first time truly sees the goodness in her heart for all the love she has given so many in spite of all those demonic lives she has taken in those moments of darkness.

Saya is seductive. Never once is she shown in a sexual position and no-one takes advantage of her, nor does she offer herself to any other. Yet she is deft, confident, slick and very fast: she utilises the skills of martial arts she has been taught. She speaks only when is necessary yet internally is engaged in many deep processes of thought and possibility. She is deadly and cold, yet there is also an unspoken warmth and kindness shown within her heart. Her primal needs for instinct are adhered and focused and yet at other times are kept under the cover of an unexpressed face of total control and thought.

In such a character I see many personal truths and goals played out in different situations. I see an inner spirit of action kept beneath a veil of darkness and control. I see power, but focused upon places where it is needed, but I also see sensitivity shown by understanding of each circumstance or situation. But most of all for myself, I see the constant interplay between the light and darkness, seeking always to drive deeper into understanding my inner-self and knowing that darkness is not something in itself to be defeated but instead cherished, embraced, understood, nurtured and especially…. accepted.

Sophie
xxx
Make every moment special
SophieAnn

Postby deacongray » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the new live action movie. I have seen the anime version and really enjoyed it, though Ihave to say some of the japanese anime is a little too artsy for my tastes.
I do agree that the lack of fangs, the more human like situations and interactions were refreshing...well until the monsters show up LOL, than it is just fun for me
Wicked Warrior
deacongray
Member / Elder

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Looking forward to seeing it also. From what I've seen of the previews it looks absolutely beautiful. I'm thinking this would make a great group event for the community since we've only had movie nights at this home or another. It hasn't made it to theaters here yet but I'm dying to see it.

Traditionally a lot of asian vamps don't have fangs. I think that is a western influence. Another really good one is Rise with Lucy Lui.

Eternally,

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 pm

In the original Dracula novel, Stoker's vampires didn't have an issue with sunlight either. They could walk around during the day on a limited scale. "Blood" definitely looks like a refreshing take on the subject. No brooding teens, no bad fangs, or messy Alaskan imports making too much high pitched noise and screeching like bean sidhes. hehe... :twisted:
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)