Djarum Cloves Ban ... What an Outrage!

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Djarum Cloves Ban ... What an Outrage!

Postby The Madame X » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

I would like to say that I am not a smoker. In fact I dislike cigarettes in a bad way. But i do enjoy smoking a clove cigarette from time to time.
In August a pack of 18 or 20 cigarettes available only in 'select' shops would cost $9.50.
For years they were not sold in Maryland... not sure why, I was told someone died from lung cancer associated with clove smoking.
Most cloves come from Indonesia, where I hear Djarum Black is more than just a cigarette it has become a huge marketing statement urging everyone to 'Go Black!'
So it comes to my attention that Clove Cigarettes are now banned because they seduce children.
It sounds to me like a marketing ploy to me.
So now, you can still find Djarum Black on 'select' cigar shops as mini filtered cigars 12 for $7.
They are certainly not the same. Cigar smokers may appreciate them... I did not.
I am so disappointed.
I remember the days I placed a clove on the tip of my cigarilla and indulged in smoking it as I sat at the bar of my favorite goth venue in my finest velvet and lace sipping my cranberry poison... while those days have been gone for years... the clove has been a friend while I socialize with friends outside...
It was a small indulgence for me that made me forget all the other limitations i must endure, and now that too has been taken away.
I'm going to stare at that last pack of Black, listen to The Cure and "hand staple forehead" mourn the complete loss of my old friends.

PS: Send Cloves!

Clove cigarettes banned under stricter FDA guidelines
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
BY ROBERT SAMUELS
Herald News

http://www.northjersey.com/news/health/79380732.html

MIAMI — Nicole Chipi smoked her last clove cigarette.

She isn’t trying to give up smoking. She just no longer has anywhere to buy them.

In September, the clove cigarette vanished from shelves across the country as a part of a new federal ban on cigarettes that taste like fruits, herbs, candy or other flavors deemed too appealing to children. The FDA’s new power to regulate tobacco led to the ban and will create some of the most monumental changes in how — and what — people smoke all over the country.

The band of clove smokers is small in South Florida. But as their cloves diminished, stick by stick, worries flared about how this new ban would affect the local culture in a place where partiers can still puff at nightclubs, in a state that has chosen not to levy taxes on tobacco.

"What Hollywood is to actors, Miami is to cigars," said William Carroll, manager at Vilar Cigar Shop in South Miami. "We wonder if it’s cloves first, then what’s next?"

Vilar Cigar smells like roasted coffee and boasts more than 200 types of tobacco. Less than 1 percent of buyers wanted cloves, Carroll said, so it made little difference profit-wise. The shop easily gave them up but remains wary about the future.

Signed in June, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Act gave retailers and manufacturers and distributors three months to get rid of their flavored cigarettes — or face warning letters, fines or prosecution.

Word spread quickly. Old customers went to Carroll and bought 10 packs at a time, knowing this might be the last time they ever made a purchase there. Soon, they will have even more company.

Ever smoke a "slim" or light cigarette? In a year, cigarette packs will no longer be able to advertise as such — because health experts say those words give the false illusion that they are less deadly than a regular cigarette.

The FDA also has the power to reduce or restrict certain additives to tobacco products — including nicotine. Such reductions will make it easier to wean folks from their addictions, said Dr. Michael Fiore, director of the University of Wisconsin’s Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention.

"My perspective as a physician and a clinician is that it’s going to improve health," Fiore said of the new plan. "This was a significant and important step."[/i]
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)