Reincarnation of Holy Man

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Reincarnation of Holy Man

Postby The Madame X » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Boston boy gets monk reincarnation status
- Darjeeling monastery to be seat of 11-year-old rinpoche, family to stay in hill town

full story at:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1091029/j ... 673153.jsp

Darjeeling, Oct. 28: The drone of gyaling (a Tibetan musical instrument) reverberated across Darjeeling and masked dancers performed the traditional cham as 11-year-old Jigme Wangchuk from Boston was enthroned today as the reincarnation of Gyalwa Lorepa, more than 750 years after the monk of the Drukpa sect died.

For Wangchuk, a fifth grader at St Peter’s School, Boston, the recognition as the incarnate of the monk who passed away in 1250 AD, had come two years ago. From today, however, Wangchuk’s seat will be the Druk-Sa-Ngag Choeling monastery at Dali in Darjeeling. “It is after 700 years that the reincarnation has arrived,” said Karma Rinpoche, who is the boy’s uncle.

Reincarnations are identified through an elaborate procedure. In 2007, when Wangchuk was visiting the Kagyu-Nalanda monastery near Mysore he had spoken of his past life describing his vision of monasteries as they stood then, including one in Bhutan.

“He talked about the monastery (in Bhutan) being situated in a rocky area of the Himalayas with a 35-foot long dragon adorning its rooftop,” recalled Karma Rinpoche. Four hours after Wangchuk recited his vision, the 12th incarnate of Tsangpa Gyare — another Drukpa monk — sent word to the family, recognising the boy as Gyalwa Lorepa.

The first Lorepa had received his initial teachings from Gyare. After Gyare passed away, Lorepa had meditated at Mount Kailash for 13 years and founded the Tharpa Ling monastery in Bhutan. His followers belong to the Drukpa lineage, which is part of the Mahayana sect of Buddhism.

Hundreds of people today attended the ceremony to pay obeisance to the reincarnation but the parents found it difficult to part ways with the boy. “I even visited the monastery in Bhutan to see if it really matches with his description. When I found it was true, I realised he was the real incarnate,” said his mother, Dechen.

The family members had always been told by other religious heads that the boy was special. When he was actually recognised as an incarnate, the family had little choice but to accept it. “We have left Boston and have to live in Darjeeling along with my husband Chosang and my 10-year-old daughter Tashi Norzum,” said Dechen. Her husband is a businessman.

The family now wants to serve the Lorepa incarnate and is planning to send the daughter to a school in Darjeeling. As for the reincarnate, he does miss “being a joyful school boy and my friends, my home”. Even though he did not speak, he gave written replies to a few questions posed to him.

Wangchuk believes there has been a “big transition” but realises that being a rinpoche is “such a great honour and I feel blessed with my past responsibilities”. The Lorepa reincarnate has promised to remain in touch with his friends through “the email”, in tune with present day life.
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby The Madame X » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:41 pm

This story actually reminds me of a documentary on another reincarnated boy that was out last year. The Documentary was called: Vivid Memories, The Boy who lived before.

Did anyone see the film?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/18447
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)