Fangsmithing on demand

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Fangsmithing on demand

Postby The Madame X » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Twilight fans flock for vampire fangs

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 » 11:42am
full story at:http://www.bigpondnews.com/articles/OddSpot/2010/07/14/Twilight_fans_flock_for_vampire_fangs_484692.html

Twilight fans are sinking their teeth into vampire culture by paying cosmetic surgeons to give them fangs.

In most cases the young fans in the US are willing to spend around $200 (A$227) of their - or their parents' - money on temporary vampire veneers.

Taylor Wilkins, 16, had the sharp fangs installed at the Houston office of Floss Dental.

'I'm Team Edward,' Taylor said, 'and he has them, so ...'

For those unfamiliar with the teen-targeted Twilight series of books and films, Team Edward backs the vampire played by Robert Pattinson and Team Jacob favours Taylor Lautner's werewolf character.

In the clinic Dr Clint Herzog applied a tooth-coloured resin to Taylor's canines then shaped the composite into gently-sloped fangs.

'It's similar to the material that we use to bond braces on the teeth,' Dr Herzog explains.

'So it can be put on and taken off very easily with no damage to the teeth.'

The dentist, who operates five offices in Texas, says vampire veneers are in demand, especially in suburbia.

'In the areas where we have a lot of people that follow Twilight, yeah, we get a lot of calls.'

After a 15-minute procedure, Taylor sported a subtle but distinctive set of fangs.

'I was really excited to get them,' she said. 'It didn't hurt at all.'

But the true test was to come later, when her mother delivered her judgement

'I almost didn't notice that she had it done,' said Jamie Wilkins, 'until she really smiled and then they were noticeable.'

Sadly for Taylor, her mum was quick to stress that her vampire life will be short-lived and the fangs would be coming off before school starts.
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)