Embracing the vampire and kin communities

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

Embracing the vampire and kin communities

Postby SophieAnn » Sun May 22, 2011 4:35 pm

(Abridged from a very much longer script submitted within Somnium Homunculi.)

For me, being kin revolves around the questions:

“Who am I”

“What am I doing here”

“What is it I am meant to be doing?”

“Where do I belong?”

In many ways I find being kin feels like one of those machines from the arcades that has scooped a toy from a collection and deposited me in an outside world. Many kin with whom I have spoken share a dislike with the world and a need to return ‘home’ where things make greater sense. As such much of the conversations seems to revolve around the ‘alienness’ of the world in which we live and discomfort within it. When this occurs, I divert the conversation towards their own feelings towards this perception of the world, their own individuality whilst aiming for an empowerment of self-definition away from our traditionally patriarchal materialistic framework.
Through sharing these angles I have found many other areas open. Such questions include:

“How may I recognise the synchronicities in my life?”

“How may aspects from my dreams tell me more about who and what I am?”

“How may understanding my kin type assist me in achieving insights?”

“How may I pass on my knowledge to others both to my fellow kin and beyond?”

I think it was that more than anything else that first attracted me to House of the Dreaming. Reading how our existence through dreams comprises a different meaning – discourse – and embracing this to facilitate our own understanding of who we all are coupled with a continual drive to deepen this knowledge was exciting filled with many possibilities. Immediately I was drawn to cite The Neverending Story which seeks to describe how this process is facilitated: I noted also how I happened to fall upon House of the Dreaming at this time observing the significance of the synchronicity. “Everything happens for a reason,” as my ex phoenix girlfriend would say as though it was unable to happen any other way! It was this that prompted me to write my first letters to Madame X and become involved with the House.

At the last couple of meets within Somnium Homunculi I have questioned what we mean by ‘nightside’ and ‘dayside’. Within the vampire community of course these terms are widely acknowledged, used and understood. Within the kin community, these words can have very different meanings. Having talked to my new girlfriend, a vampire / dark angel hybrid, she suggested that changing the terminology to Hidden and Seen may be somewhat more productive since of course most kin do not reveal who they are to those who would not understand. However, the reasons I suggested examining the terminology is that kin understand the light and dark in different ways and depending upon the type of kin can be seen to be a good or a bad thing. In addition, whilst we may be on ‘dayside’, our ‘nightside’ abilities are still there: we do not (at least consciously) control when these synchronicities take place and we may find ourselves meeting others in places we would not normally expect. For example, one of my mentors (whom I met at my workplace when needing someone to talk to about some vampire spiritual ‘attacks’) whilst adamant we had to be careful who was listening, this ‘nightside’ conversation occurred within a ‘dayside’ setting. For me, examining and re-examining what these terms mean is very much part of coming to terms with who I am as kin and appreciate the pause during our last meet in order for this process in thought to take place.

This is to my mind exactly why the vampiric and kin communities need to help each other. For the kin communities, the tendency to throw out the darkness as irrelevant, harmful or lowering of vibrations I believe is to negate the whole being, and ultimately results in few achieving their full potential whatever that may be. Vampires often have a beautiful way of accepting and releasing the whole self which is often missed by those who do not understand or embrace, coupled with a wonderful ability to draw things out beyond comfort zones into something more fulfilling but with a focus many would find helpful and thought provoking. Many vampire Houses, on the other hand, often have such inflexible rules (even those that officially welcome kin) that many of those who are kin with no vampiric connection never hear the calling and choose instead to stay away. Synchronicities which help connect a person’s physical life with aspects of their path are missed due to a fear of being revealed at the wrong moments, the innate secrecy being a barrier to prevent others from understanding or moving forward. There is a certain level of expectedness and plan that many kin simply find too uncomfortable to join or alien to their own paths or requirements and for this reason I believe the two continue communities often choose to remain separate.

I believe very much within the principals of vampire and kin working together to achieve a wider understanding and thinking ‘outside the box’. This rare opportunity offers a seemingly more structured approach than many kin groups offer, but with the diversity to address these issues in a new and challenging way. However, even then, there is still temptation to snuggle deep within the rabbit’s fur (taken from the book “Sophie’s World”) and avoid seeing the wider picture. To avoid this the developing kin and vampire alike in my opinion need to maintain a continual drive and courage to look at ourselves and the world around us in this new way so that we may continue to address who we are and understand more about the ways in which our own inner spirit wishes us to engage.

Eternal blessings
Sophie
Xxx
Make every moment special
SophieAnn

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)