A Vampire in a Muslim City (pt 2 Vamps of the World)

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

A Vampire in a Muslim City (pt 2 Vamps of the World)

Postby deacongray » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Jan 18 2012 GYP-

Jutting out into the South China Sea, tropical Malaysia isn’t a country we here in the west hear much about. With a population of roughly twenty eight million people packed into a space slightly larger than New Mexico, it is a country of surprising Coastal plains, and jungle covered mountains. It is A mixture of natural beauty and a compact urban atmosphere.

If you are a vampire, it might seem the like a nearly perfect place to live, and it might just be that for the vampires that live in the area, if you can find any. You see even with a rich cultural diversity, “ Ethnic groups: Malay 53.3%, Chinese 26.0%, indigenous 11.8%, Indian 7.7%, others 1.2%.
Religions: Islam (60.4%), Buddhism (19.2%), Christianity (9.1%), Hinduism (6.3%), other/none (5.0%).”

There is a shockingly few amount of those who consider themselves Vampires, Otherkin or Therian. I found myself wondering why that might be, and with some luck I managed to find one of the rare individuals from that country that actually takes part in the on line vampire community.

So today we greet Alixyveth Breyel from Malaysia. Alix, will you tell us a little about yourself?

Alix: Well let’s see I am in my early 20’s ( I guess a lady never tells) a record holder in Malaysia for kick boxing, I am a model and fashion designer. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education, and I aspire to be a teacher. I have to admit I have duel United States and Malaysian citizenship, but I have no memory of being in the United States.

GYP: That must make things difficult. You have said before you are an Eros type vampire, I would think that is rather frowned upon in your country.

Alix: The vampire is viewed as something that does exist but as a damned spirit. The culture here does not generally believe in vampirism. They do believe more in magick, and it has been accepted in my family true for a long time. Many of us have had some abilities and in our culture such things are not as taboo to believe in.

Generally, at least in my generation and the generations before me.. we were all pretty much raised on old wives tales and on magick. But not so much as bed time stories. A lot of our community believes in the old ways. For me to do what I do with energy is not uncommon, but for me to call myself a Vampire would seem insane.

GYP: So In your culture it is the terminology that makes the difference? While people don't believe in Human Vampires they might believe in say...energy transfere and magick?

In my culture the abilities are more accepted, yes the terminology does not fit. Vampires are Damned spirits. I used to be afriad of them but my mother’ would tell me "Well I don’t see a reason why you need to be afraid.." At least when I was being brought up believing in ghosts or the mystical aspects of life were not discouraged. It’s a lot better than them thinking I was loony.

GYP: So there aren’t any clubs or groups that you could join or be a part of?

Alix: I haven’t met a single vampire in ever.

GYP: Do you think you would face a lot of issues if you did come out as a vampire?

Alix: well, if I kept it underground guess not

GYP: It has to be hard to be who and what you are, and not have others you can talk too about it

Alix: indeed it is difficult. There are other forms of oppression happening to me on a daily basis and I like to keep my night time activities to myself to the people around me, save the ones that really know me

GYP: I would think that dealing with being a Muslim and a vampire has to be extremely stressful I have heard a lot about how Muslims feel when it comes to what they consider occult practices. Is there a lot of religious pressure?

Alix: it’s a political issue. While the country has imaginary debates on if they want to be religious or secular.. people like me don’t get a choice. Especially if your born and registered as a Malay and a Muslim. There is no way out of the religion and so... my lifestyle or practices will never go over well. Honestly I’m not a Malay,.. the only one of Malay race in my lineage was my maternal great grandmother. My parents registered me as one because the Malays have special rights over the other races. It’s like a status and you get better benefits… I know out right racism.. and our country slogan is 1 MALAYSIA.

GYP: I know it is hard there, and you have said before you would love to travel to other places and experience them, where would you go?

Alix: I would to go to America, I have citizenship there and I have family there. But, I have always wanted to go to Europe to live. I have had to keep that I am a US Citizen under wraps for 22 years to avoid disputes.

GYP: Well thank you for your time, and I look forward to speaking to you again very soon.

Alix: Thank you for talking to me, if not for the on line vampire community this is a part of that I would have to keep totally hidden. I have made a lot of friends on line, and though I have a hard time with some of the issues, I enjoy the friends I meet.

Part three of this series is focused on the country of South Africa where a budding vampire community faces some the most difficult challenges one can face. “In the rural area’s they still hang people for being witches.”
Wicked Warrior
deacongray
Member / Elder

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)