The Five Pranas

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

The Five Pranas

Postby The Madame X » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:16 pm

The Five Pranas
by David Frawley adopted from his book Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-realization

1. Prana
Prana, literally the “forward moving air,” moves inward and governs reception of all types from the eating of food, drinking of water, and inhalation of air, to the reception of sensory impressions and mental experiences. It is propulsive in nature, setting things in motion and guiding them. It provides the basic energy that drives us in life.

2. Apana
Apana, literally the “air that moves away,” moves downward and outward and governs all forms of elimination and reproduction (which also has a downward movement). It governs the elimination of the stool and the urine, the expelling of semen, menstrual fluid and the fetus, and the elimination of carbon dioxide through the breath. On a deeper level it rules the elimination of negative sensory, emotional and mental experiences. It is the basis of our immune function on all levels.

3. Udana
Udana, literally the “upward moving air,” moves upward and qualitative or transformative movements of the life-energy. It governs growth of the body, the ability to stand, speech, effort, enthusiasm and will. It is our main positive energy in life through which we can develop our different bodies and evolve in consciousness.

4. Samana
Samana, literally the “balancing air,” moves from the periphery to the center, through a churning and discerning action. It aids in digestion on all levels. It works in the gastrointestinal tract to digest food, in the lungs to digest air or absorb oxygen, and in the mind to homogenize and digest experiences, whether sensory, emotional or mental.

5. Vyana
Vyana, literally the “outward moving air,” moves from the center to the periphery. It governs circulation on all levels. It moves the food, water and oxygen throughout the body, and keeps our emotions and thoughts circulating in the mind, imparting movement and providing strength. In doing so it assists all the other Pranas in their work.

The five Pranas are energies and processes that occur on several levels. However we can localize them in a few key ways. Prana Vayu governs the movement of energy from the head down to the navel, which is the Pranic center in the physical body. Apana Vayu governs the movement of energy from the navel down to the root chakra. Samana Vayu governs the movement of energy from the entire body back to the navel. Vyana Vayu governs the movement of energy out from the navel throughout the entire body. Udana governs the movement of energy from the navel up to the head

As a simple summary we could say that Prana governs the intake of substances. Samana governs their digestion. Vyana governs the circulation of nutrients. Udana governs the release of positive energy. Apana governs the elimination of waste-materials.
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Re: The Five Pranas

Postby ashu29 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:31 am

Dear Madam,

I love this article. We too in believe in Panch prana... Story of prana we find it in "Upanishads". we believe in the cosmic level there are two basic aspects of Prana. The first is the unmanifest aspect of Prana, which is the energy of Pure Consciousness that transcends all creation. The second or manifest Prana is the force of creation itself. Prana arises from active force of Nature (Prakriti). Nature herself consists of three gunas: sattva or harmony, which gives rise to the mind, rajas or movement, which gives rise to the prana, and tamas or inertia that gives rise to body.
I have been taught we have 5 body within us. and one of them is Pranamay body which contain these 5 Prana or I can say regulate.
to grow spiritually we must learn to take in more prana to feed the spiritual powers within us and in yogic practices work to raise Apana up to unite with Prana and draw Prana down to unite with Apana, which occurs in the region of the navel – the pranic center of the body.
i may be written in proper way.. its difficult to translate from My language i.e Marathi to English.
ashu29

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)