[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - To Know and To Be

To Know and To Be

Nonfiction literary compositions

Moderator: The Madame X

To Know and To Be

Postby The Madame X » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby SoVeReIgN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 pm

SoVeReIgN

Postby Arioch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Wisdom is having gained knowledge, experience, and intuitive understanding, along with a capacity to apply these qualities well.

Very well said indeed Madame. To each their own of course but I believe in striving for the balance. Knowledge is a great thing but having the spirit to enrich those around you can be even more fulfilling.
Dark Blessings,
Arioch

It is not heresy and I will not repent!
Arioch

Postby EzikielTempted » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:14 am

It's the true difference between someone with book smarts and street smart. The armchair occultist may be sought after because he has an original copy of some Necronimicon printed before the byzantine empire, but that doesn't mean he can show you the techniques or teach you how to wield the information- or if he even understand what he is really holding.
SINcerely,

Ezikiel
House of the Dreaming
Vox Homunculi

"There is no nightmare more potent than a memory."
EzikielTempted

Postby Khan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Great article. It's true that many things look so much more admirable on paper (or on your screen) than in real life application. Many times, expectations of meeting those that look so good on paper in person can be quite the disappointment.

Likewise, some folks don't appear to be of much substance until you take the time to walk and talk with them in person. I don't believe this pertains only to the Nightside folks, but the real world in general.

Anyone's reputation, be it newbie or seasoned veteran, in only worth something if they can back it up in their everyday actions. Otherwise, it would be as fictitious as the archetype we get compared against by the mainstream.

"To thy own self be true..."
Khan
Ramkht, House of the Dreaming
Candor Dat Viribus Alas

"You tell them I'm coming, and Hell is coming with me."
Khan

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 pm

I could not agree more. I tend to be an observor and my energy online has been called quiet and I am nothing if not that offline as well. I prefer to watch rather than participate. To learn traits from others without having long lengthy discussions about them. i prefer to be myself rather than as a friend would put it, play someone false. I rely on the other person or people to also be genuine people. If they are not then they are not. Anyone can learn from books, from articles, from writing, from whatever. We are not the sum of what we know but of experiences that we learn from and are enriched by. True wisdom is not something that someone finds within a book, a philosophy, or a lecture. It is something that is innate, something that is fostered by human experience and something that is meant to be shared not as a self gratiating pat on the back but as something that is done in compassion and desire to expand the spirits and minds of others. I love this article. Very well done as always my dear Madame.

Eternally,

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Dys » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:38 am

If we look at things historically, some of the most spiritually powerful people couldn't read a lick, but they could travel between worlds, heal, perform the apparently impossible, etc. Sometimes the true essence of a thing is lost when it is put into print & is separated from its source. Look at the Druids & many of the medicine people from the cultures around the world; they outright refused to put their wisdom into print for fear that it would defile it. There might be something to that after all, you never know.

Don''t get me wrong, I am not of that school myself; for those who have lacked teachers over the years like myself, books have been some of my only sources of information & guideposts to help me advance my path. I will say though that two of the people that helped me most along my path both spiritually & materially were, while both literate, not scholars by any stretch of the imagination.

My grandfather was a gas utility man all his life, but taught me the value system & work ethic I still hold close to my heart (with some modifications notwithstanding). The other was my father in law who, as a Northern Cree medicine man, opened up many worlds for me & helped me to find the direction I needed spiritually. To look at him, you'd never guess what he was. He is a landscaper on his sister's campground where he also lives with his wife. They live a simple life with few extravagances, but are very happy doing what they do.

There is something to be said for both book smarts & street smarts, & we definitely find our way smack in the middle.

Awesome article, Madame X; you hit the nail right on the head. 8)
"Expect nothing, but be prepared for anything"-Dys

"We are twilit spirits racing through the Dream...lets not forget to stop & smell the roses..."-Dys

myspace.com/lord_dys
Dys

Postby rhen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:23 pm

This was a great article! To obtain balance is the perfect goal. A person cannot really evaluate another through a computer screen and even in person evaluations can be deceiving. One cannot judge by appearance alone. I am very glad I read this.

Rhen
rhen

Postby The Madame X » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Thank you.
I guess my point is that we are often to pushed by society to develop the mind so much and so prominently that we atrophy the heart.
Our endeavors geared for success and wealth.
How much do we need to journey to gain awareness?
To consider our 3% of achievable awareness... 10% for a DaVinci... where to we fall in? where should we aspire to? And does it even make a difference?

We ultimately need to retain our minds and our hearts to give sway to each other. Sure we need to think in order to be able to express ourselves clearly and many times we need to know how to think, be organized and compassionate in our thinking. Its not easy. I can only aspire to such.
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Return to Articles (for the Outer Circle)