[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - Studies of Manly P. Hall and His Work.

Studies of Manly P. Hall and His Work.

This publicly viewable forum is to discuss concepts and personal experiences surrounding mysterious and unexplained encounters with unseen forces, spiritual influences, people who don't know they are dead, and the many bridges and dark frontiers that approach us to the next world. Hauntings, possessions, spirit communications, apparitions, discarnate intelligences, and all things that go bump in the night.

Moderators: The Madame X, deacongray, LadyGigiFrost

Studies of Manly P. Hall and His Work.

Postby AriannaFitzgerald » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I mentioned to Madame X I would do this on Facebook and since I am enjoying my first day of Spring Break, I am going to do so.
So here goes. The basics.

Who was Manly P. Hall?

"Manly Palmer Hall (March 18, 1901 – August 29, 1990) was a Canadian-born author and mystic. He is perhaps most famous for his work The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy, which is widely regarded as his magnum opus, and which he published at the age of 25 (or 27, 1928)

He has been widely recognized as a leading scholar in the fields of religion, mythology, mysticism, and the occult.

Carl Jung, when writing Psychology and Alchemy, borrowed material from Hall’s private collection."

(From the Manly P. Hall archive here: [urlhttp://www.manlyphall.org/][/url])

Why would Manly P. Hall be important in the study of the occult and supernatural topics? Also, why would he be important for study within the community context?

Hall is constantly cited as the leading expert on Masonic ritual and the deeper workings of secret societies. Furthermore, his alternative view of history, although inflated and maimed down the line from hyper-paranoid conspiracy theorists to the makers of films like National Treasure, offers a peculiar insight about the world that those interested in how the world works in the more shadowy corners might be curious to read.

For community use, I really feel his philosophy, which emphasizes the interlocking disciplines of spirituality, science and philosophy for the illumination and ascension of man, is directly relevant. These are themes I have seen in the most general quarters of the vampire and likewise communities.

What texts are recommended reading and why?

I began with The Secret Destiny of America, a combined volume of his alternative history. It is extremely enlightening and well-written, particularly the first half, especially if you have studied much of classical philosophy and have a healthy appreciation of these. Also as a general student of American history, finding alternative vein to generally accepted academic notions is also very intellectually stimulating. Hall offers at least general evidence and historical annotations, so it seems believable.

Secret Teachings of All Ages is a huge read and one I am still sifting through, but it is almost like any other sacred text in its ability to challenge the mind. The first few sections are an intense history lesson on philosophy and its definition, as well as a critique of the current academic practice of philosophy and reasons why esoteric practice is so vital to said practice. He enters into his alternative history throughout, but it is a great read, however arduous.

You can find the full text of Secret Teachings on sacred texts. com

That's all I got for the moment. The student is still a student.
"audaces fortuna iuvat"
Fortune favors the bold
AriannaFitzgerald

Re: Studies of Manly P. Hall and His Work.

Postby The Madame X » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Mr. Hall was certainly a prolific chap. He was quite the polyglot, he spoke Portuguese quite fluently. I would be very interested in reading some of his works. What would you recommend?
Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby AriannaFitzgerald » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 pm

As I mentioned up there Madame, I read his Secret Destiny of America volume in its entirety and it was completely alluring. The first half specifically had me awe-struck because of the view of history it presented.

He wrote a lot of philosophical guides (they're more like magical tomes), lectured a lot too, there's a channel on youtube specifically devoted to his lectures. (Which is here: )

Of the "tomes", I've only read Secret Teachings of All Ages and I highly recommend it. The other is listed on the biography up there and I haven't gotten to read it yet, although I have listened to some of his lectures. Those are perfect resources, as his career was a public speaker was prolific.
"audaces fortuna iuvat"
Fortune favors the bold
AriannaFitzgerald

Postby LadyGigiFrost » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 pm

WOW - Thank you so much, I thought I was the only one who like this guy. I can honestly say, I have a hard time finding things to read, that will hold my attention. I have tons of books most I have started to read and without fail, they lost my attention. With all honest, I can day I have not only read "secret teachings of all ages" so many times & carried it around like a bible for years.
He is without a doubt one of my favorites - Simply LOVE that book.
BlackSwan to Master Deacon
Dreaming of Dreaming ~Lady Frost
LadyGigiFrost
Black Swan

Postby AriannaFitzgerald » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 pm

You're welcome. That's certainly a book worth carrying around like a Bible. There is an insane amount of information and wisdom wrapped into that tome.

The Secret Destiny of America spoke to me a bit more strongly, but I think that has to do with the path I'm on. That book is one I've started using as a reference in that matter, because there's so much I've needed that's been hidden inside its pages.
"audaces fortuna iuvat"
Fortune favors the bold
AriannaFitzgerald

Return to Supernatural and Paranormal