[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
House of the Dreaming • View topic - Recommended Reading

Recommended Reading

Here we will introduce and discuss non-fiction literary books and other publications. The goal is to broaden our horizons and deepen our collective personal study of esoteric topics of particular interest to our Nightkind Group, like magick, necromancy, mysticism, the astral realms, divination, the occult, paganism, shamanism, vampirism, therianthropy etc...

Moderator: The Madame X

Postby Jezabel » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:12 am

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

"Before you speak, ask yourself ; is it kind? is it true? does it improve on the silence?" - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jezabel

Postby Jezabel » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:27 am

Moving this back up too!

I can't even begin to name all the stuff I have read since comming here,lol.

But I can list the stuff I have tackled on the recommended list either prior or after comming here and give my 2 beads worth to the folks who have not read them yet: :)

Out of the Shadows, by Dark Wyccan (I really have to agree with this one, it is worth every penny)!

Realities of the Dreaming Mind, Swami Sivananda Radha (I could barely put this book down, loved it).

The Satanic Bible, by Anton Zander LeVay(Some things made perfect sense and Mr. LeVay was a bit of a comedian in his own right, but I guess I find his approach to things too earthy-restrictive for my taste. I could see where this would be a very mradu path to take though).

Condensed Chaos, by Phil Hine
Pyschic Self Defense, by Dione Fortune

(Been a spell since I have read these, I really should brush up on them, Miss Fourtune was on of the first to write about psy vamps after all...)

Liber Kaos & Psychonomicon by Peter J. Caroll
(Ah, Mr. Caroll, wordy, likes to see himself think, but an amusing guy).

And I am halfway through Magical Use of Thought Forms
by Ashcroft-Nowicki, Dolores, and Brennan, J. H.

Another recommendation: The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft: Shadows, Spirits, and the Healing Journey by Christopher Penczak (Basic, but alot of good info).
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

"Before you speak, ask yourself ; is it kind? is it true? does it improve on the silence?" - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jezabel

Postby RavenHarte » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:15 pm

I am reading a few too

"The Four Agreements" and its companion books AGAIN
Francis Melville's "Book of Angels"
"Meeting the Shadow" Zweig and Abrams AGAIN
"The Prince of Ireland" I forget the author...
Last edited by RavenHarte on Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings Light & Dark
~v~RavenHarte~v~
HPS Clann Caladvwlch
RavenHarte

Postby Jezabel » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:26 pm

Wooo more esoteric book goodness...sounds good to me, Raven Harte as I am the self-proclaimed occult nerd...now that I tihink about it, I guess I have always been one since my great grandmother started my traning when I was about 4 (20 years already, sheesh, where does the time go?!)....so I am super occult nerd! Hehehe *slowly deflates that ego a biit* lol!

Jezabel

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:12 am

Out of the Shadows, by Dark Wyccan

Have not read it but have read several articles by him. Wonderful works of dark paganism. That's one of those books that alweys calls to me when I visit the bookstore. Since it was the first one on the list I guess it's stopped whispering and is not screeching like a beanshidhe lol!!

The Satanic Bible, by Anton Zander LeVay

I read this when I was a kid. Interesting. It's one of those texts that because of my upbringing on some levels I wanted to disagree with him but had a very difficult time on most points.

Pyschic Self Defense, by Dione Fortune

I agree with several others here, this is definitely a must have. I learned so much from this book I wouldn't know where to start. Having never dealt with psy/energy attacks until I moved to Savannah, I wasn't really used to having to have my shields up a lot. When I read this book I realized that someone else out there had several similar experiences. It was nice in a way to know I wasn't alone like that.

Liber Null & Psychonaut, by Peter J. Caroll
REad it once, will be reading it again. I kept feeling as if there was something I missed the first time.

The Satanic Witch, by Anton Zander LeVay
LeVey is not one of my favorite occult authors, or he wasn't, but I read it a while back for knowledge's sake.

Prime Chaos, by Phil Hine
Demons of the Flesh, the Complete Guide to Left Hand Path Sex Magic by Nikolas Schrek & Zeena LeVay Schreck

Two more to add to my list.

Liber Kaos & Psychonomicon by Peter J. Caroll
Did read this. This guy likes to hear himself think lol. Other than that they were ok. I think he's too hung up on quantum physics a wee bit, or maybe when I read it the first time it wasn't the right time to utilize the info. Who knows? Mayhaps it's time to get back in touch with this one.

Looks like i have a heck of a reading list lol.

A few that I could add to it if I may:

Book of Secrets by Depak Chopra....this book brings living in truth to an entirely new level of awareness. I think this is the book that started the frying pan of enlightenment bonking me on the noggin every two seconds.

Witchcrafting by Phyllis Currott...if anyone here hasn't heard her speak stop whatever you're doing when she's in your area and run to the stadium!!! This woman is remarkable. Not only is she a positive force for the Pagan community, she is a strong role model for young women. Gods knows we could use some of those now.

Same Soul, Many Bodies...Brian Weiss M.D.

past life therapy. I have found this to be extremely helpful in healing some issues that just won't stay dead no matter how many times I push them overboard.

Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ...Tau Malachi
This is one of the most spiritual books I've read in a very long time and very much Qabalistic. It's a large volume but a very good read.

777...the Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
First, I am not a Crowley fan. For some reason his books just never did anything for me. This one isn't bad, if you can get through all the charts and such. I had to read it a couple of times, but each time there was something different in there.

Advanced Witchcraft ..Edain McCoy...
Yes I know she has a rep for being fluffy but she has a good sense of humor which makes things a lot easier to read through. This is actually the only book I've ever read by her and I was impressed. She seems to be very articulate and well read, and there's a very good section on creating thoughtforms in there that is excellent.

Goddess Initiation Francesca De Grandis
Shamanic solitary witchyness.

Elemental Powers....Amber Wolfe
Meet your shadow elemental self one at a time.

I could likely add stuff all day long but I won't. I really need to get back into my reading. I'm making that my sole mission in life after PPD.

eternally lost in the night,

Aislin

Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.
Carl Jung, "On the Psychology of the Unconciousness" 1917

Refrain from doing ill; for one all powerful reason, lest our children should copy our misdeeds; we are all too prone to imitate
whatever is base and depraved. ...Jevenal

You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.
Franz Kafka
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby RavenHarte » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:05 pm

Ahh Phyllis Currott, all 3 of her books are excellent!!!
Last edited by RavenHarte on Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings Light & Dark
~v~RavenHarte~v~
HPS Clann Caladvwlch
RavenHarte

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:15 pm

Patricia Kennelly morrison...Jim's wife!!!! I love Morrison!!! Ok, on to the topic, both are phenomonal women and definitely good role models for the Pagan community. I've had the good fortune to hear Physs Currot speak...anyone that misses that should be kicked!!! lol!!! She's amazing and very inspiring. You are fortunate to have been trained with her. I come from a more modest, simple training of which was half formal and half traditional, but alas I left covenlife long ago. I've been content as a solitary and Ms. Currot's books tend to speak to solitaries as well as coven witches, which is rare. Nonetheless, I will likely have many more books to add to the listing by the time the weekend is over. After PPD of course.

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Jezabel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 am

Lakota Belief and Ritual by James R Walker. :D Actually, most of the Native community has had kittens about this book because none of our traditions are supposed to be written down, but for those of you who are curious, it is a good book to get some insight.

Jezabel

Postby Alterra Von Feuers » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm

OK. There are so many excellent choices there dear people . If I were to choose one of these as the beginning student I am which would be the best to start with?

I am curently reading Sanguinomicon III too Jez! and the Black Veil. And have heard alot about Mcveys Satanic Bible . It sounds very interesting.
~Falling into the waking dream~
Alterra Von Feuers

Postby Jezabel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 am

Jezabel

Postby Alterra Von Feuers » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 pm

~Falling into the waking dream~
Alterra Von Feuers

Postby Jezabel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:47 pm

Jezabel

Postby The Madame X » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 pm

Ex Somnius Scientia
Madame X
Matriarch, House of the Dreaming

https://www.facebook.com/madamex.dreaming
The Madame X
Member / Matriarch

Postby Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:33 am

I'd read "Mage" first, then go to the Greater Key and so forth. I'm not a fan of Crowley, but I've heard good things about that one. Another of Jung's that is excellent is The Basic Writings of CG Jung.

Add Nocturnicon/Konstantinos to the list.

I could have saved you some money Jezz. I have the entire greater and lesser keys on the SSWH.

Aislin
Aislin Ni MorRhiaghan

Postby Caliphora » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 pm

ooohhh.. books, books, books...
I am a sad collector of books - most of my student grants go toward books! (This would explain the lack of heating and other foods than noodles in my house at the moment :P)

I always recommend Crowley's Magick withour Tears to people, it is an excellent beginners book to ceremonial magick. Magick in Theory and Practice as well - but if you don't have your Crowley head screwed on, his style of writing can be quite daunting.
777, yes - basically Bholanath had some good recommendations.
When it comes to the Keys and Abramelin The Mage, I also highly recommend them too.

I am also a big fan of Lon Milo Duquette - his Chicken Kabbalah was the best introduction to Kabbalah I have ever read - and I still use it as reference today, even if my work has proceeded.

Anything in the departement of chaos magick...

Hmmm... (looking through my bookshelves to think of stuff)
I enjoy non-fiction as well, The Illuminati trilogy, and Dan Brown f. ex.
Wicca by Vivienne Crowley is a good companion to anyone new or old in the Craft.
I would like to add one source of good thinking that isn't entirely in book form - Bill Hicks. His philosophies shine through even his funniest dick-jokes, and he was a learned man indeed.

I'm sure I will check back in and add books in the future.
Sometimes, the Dragon is Within.
Caliphora

PreviousNext

Return to Akashic Hall Study Chamber